Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Some Philippine Life

We have been in the Philippines for 4 1/2 months now. Life is very different here than in America. There are many things I miss from home. Our family is learning that instead of being sad about missing so many things that we now get excited the next time we get to experience or have or see all the things we miss.

One thing that is different her than in America. (well you can do it in America, but I didn't) I make our Yogurt every week! Yup, fresh, homemade yogurt that we eat 2 mornings a week for breakfast. The yogurt here is very expensive, and we know it's so good for you. (especially our stomachs which need a little extra help living here) So, I decided to make it. It is so easy. I cannot believe how easy it is. Well, here is what I do...

First I have 2 liters of milk, that I heat on the stove to 185 degrees F.
Then, I take it off the stove and let it sit while the temperature drops to 115 F.

Once it is at 115 degrees F, I mix in powdered milk and my yogurt starter. The yogurt starter is some yogurt I made from the last batch. The first time I made this I had to buy a little thing of yogurt for the starter, but now I don't. :) The powdered milk makes the yogurt thick, so it's not all runny when its done.
Then I pour the milk mixture into my glass jars.
Once it is in my jars. ( I have to remember to make a little container for my starter the next time.) Then I put the jars in my ice chest, with another glass jar that has boiling water in it. I boil the water on the stove then pour it in a jar. So, now all my yogurt and jar of very hot water are in the ice chest.
Then I tuck a blanket on top and make it nice and snug in there. I leave it our over night. ( I usually make this around 9pm.) Then, in the morning it's Yogurt!
I put in the fridge for about 24 hours before we eat it for breakfast!! We cut up fresh mangos with some granola and honey!! Yum! (ok, we even put some brown sugar on it too!! ) Our girls love yogurt for breakfast days! This much yogurt makes enough for our family for two breakfast during the week.

I never thought I would be the mom who makes her own yogurt. But, I do and I love it!


Kaylie is in 3rd grade this year and I'm doing some preschool work with Abigael. Kaylie is a great student! She loves school and amazes us with how quick she learns things. Abigael is working on her alphabet and she loves to be the big girl sitting at the table doing school work.

Here are some pictures of our lives the last couple of months! 


Abigael playing on our street with her side walk chalk! One of her favorite things to do!

Driving to language school... you never know what you will see!

The two older girls had lice!! Eww, praying we don't have to do that again!!

Kaylie loving the Filipino food at a restaurant on my Birthday!

Kris enjoying our visit at the LRF!

Sweet Emelyn loved her little chair during church.

Yes, that's a dog riding on the back. He is driving a motorcycle. See you never know what you will see while driving. My camera is always in my purse for these awesome moments!

My victory Picture!!! Mostly you see a max of 4 on a motorcycle, but on this very special day we saw 7!!! This is just a normal size motorcycle.

  Here is the local "threeft" shop. Learning language has some fun parts! :)

So...this is located right next to our front door. Whenever we go outside for more than a few minutes we have to "lotion up"! This is our new "lotion" here in the Philippines!! LOL




No comments:

Post a Comment